This is what happened at the Oct. 10 Board of Selectmen’s Meeting.
• Tonight is Mary Shaw’s first meeting as the board secretary
• First Selectman Jim Zeoli announced recent deaths, including Joe Blake’s Mother-in-law, and Bob Crocco
• He also mentioned that Assistant Chief Tony Cuozzo was sworn in, after Ed Koether retired
• Oct 15 is the pregnancy and infant loss ceremony at the gazebo at 7 p.m.
• Public Hearing Racebrook Road Bridge on Oct. 17 (Bridge will be repaired in 2013).
• The annual town Breast Cancer Awareness Ceremony will take place at Town Hall on Oct 18 at 1 p.m
• On Election Day, Nov. 6, Town Offices will be open, transfer station will be open. Elementary schools will be closed, Amity schools are Open.
• Nov. 11 is Veteran’s Day. Plans for a Cereomony on Nov. 12 is in the works. Town Hall and schools will be open.
• Joe Vittorio of Pez Candy will receive the Good Scout Award at Amarantes on Oct. 31
• The town recognized the five Orange girls who went to the world series in Washington State.
Each girl received a town of Orange pin, appeared on OGAT
Jill DeMaio, shortstop; Katie Koshes, pitcher; Teresa Marchitto, outfield; Addison Robbins, first base; and Janaya Young.
• Brentwood Drive block party for this Saturday — unanimously approved
• Platt Tech’s request to conduct a Christmas tree recycling drive, to pick up Christmas trees and recycling them. Bringing the chips to a place in Milford or Orange. It’s a fundraiser with a suggested donation of $20. Look for a letter from Platt Tech coming soon. — unanimously approved.
• Ryan Young’s Rec. Department Chess Program — unanimously approved
• To allow the Platt Tech Road Race and Walk in Orange — unanimously approved
• Lions Club to waive fee for annual Thanksgiving Dinner Sun. Nov. 25 at High Plains Community Centerarea seniors. — Unanimously approved
• Approve a bid for Rock Salt for the Roads — Unanimously Approved
• Just two Bids were received for new driveways at the Turkey Hill Preserve (base, stone, compaction) Derby-Milford Road
$13,800 from T M Wright or $9,200 from Advanced Paving
The Board voted and approved the Advanced Paving bid.
• The Conservation Commission Plans a walk through of this property in early November.
• Snow Plowing for the town of Orange, Steve Savarese says Highway Foreman Don Foyer negotiated and got a great price with outside contractors so, the town will have 7 trucks working the town during snow episodes.
• There is a plan to put four new circulating fans in the mezzanine area of the town pool (where it gets oppressively hot)
• A new Assistant Children’s Librarian has been hired at Case Memorial Library
At 8:32 the Board went into executive session to discuss a new Open Space parcel that is available. (No vote to be taken)