Just before 1 a.m. Orange Volunteer Firefighters responded to a report of a house fire on Hawthorne Lane.
When the first volunteer arrived, he found the side of the home next to the chimney engulfed in flames.
Public Information Officer Mark Osinski talked to the press in this video.
The nearest fire hydrant was down the street and around the corner on Pine Tree Drive, a hose was hooked up there and a second alarm went out.
Smoke billowed from beneath the eaves and firefighters ascended to the roof as others proceeded with interior and exterior attacks.
The Woodbridge Fire Department and its Rapid Intervention Team (RIT) were called for mutual aid.
By 2 a.m. flames could still be seen in a small unit at the side of the house and firefighters cut ventilation holes in the roof. Suddenly an upstairs bedroom beneath the rooftop firefighters’ perch glowed with orange as a flashover rolled across the ceiling. Firefighters on the ground quickly responded to that, aiming their hoses through a hole where a window once was.
First Selectman Jim Zeoli stood with the homeowners as a WWII Veteran Flag and the American Flag fluttered from a flag pole a few yards from the carnage.
Fire Marshal Tim Smith will continue his investigation today, but his preliminary finding is that the fire started in the area of a wood fired boiler.
No one was hurt in this fire.