Pet owners, be aware of these few holiday dangers.
- Beware of Easter lilies. These toxic plants can be fatal if ingested by our furry friends.
- Keep candy bunnies in check—chocolate goodies are toxic to cats, dogs and ferrets. And any treats containing xylitol an artificial sweetener used in many candies, chewing gum and baked goods—may be toxic too!
- Decorations can be dangerous, especially Easter tinsel. Kitties love to nibble colorful plastic grass, which can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting and dehydration.
- Usually, I put out advance notice about this, and I hope it’s not too late. Baby chicks and rabbits are not Easter gifts. While these festive babies are adorable, resist the urge to buy; they grow up fast and often require specialized care! Thousands of ex-Easter bunnies and chicks are abandoned each year when their novelty wears off.
- Fat trimmings from meat may seem intriguing to your pet, but it can be bad for your pet. See this site for more information on “dangerous” foods.