It is that time of year again and we are asking local businesses, civic organizations, places of worship, Town Departments and residents to help us with our annual Holiday Basket and Adopt a Family program for our families, children, individuals and elderly in need.
For our Holiday Basket Program, we ask you to put together a decorated food basket for a Holiday meal and also provide grocery store gift cards to purchase perishable items to go along with the baskets. For our Adopt a Family we ask if you would donate various items consisting of gift cards and gifts for children, individuals and elderly in need. Participants in the Adopt a Family program provide a wish list that we provide to the sponsor.
Monetary donations are also much appreciated which are applied towards our Community Assistance Programs that include the Food and Fuel Banks. These programs are maintained solely by donations. Checks can be made payable to “Treasurer Town of Orange”.
We are asking for you to volunteer again this year to participate in our Holiday Programs to help our residents in need to enjoy their holidays.
Below you will find a reference menu that includes a list of ideas for the food baskets. We also ask that the gifts be wrapped and labeled. Please join us in making this another successful year of giving.
Drop off deadline for Thanksgiving is Friday, November 22, 2019
Drop off deadline for Christmas/Hanukkah is December 18, 2019
You may contact us at any time at (203) 891-4788 between the hours of 8:30 am until 4:30 pm with any questions about our programs. Thank you for supporting our Holiday programs.
Every year just before the holidays, the Orange Community Services Department asks for residents’ assistance that will allow them to help families and individuals in need.
Here are some ways for you to help in your community
- 1. Food Drives to replenish our Food Bank. We distribute non-perishable items to Orange residents on a monthly basis and also in an emergency situation. Some suggestions: dry milk, cereal, juice, canned chicken/turkey or tuna, chili, hash, rice, canned soups, canned fruit, pasta, pasta sauce, macaroni & cheese, cereal, crackers, peanut butter, jelly, coffee, tea, toiletries, paper goods, and any other non-perishable item that can help a resident in need.
- 2. Food baskets containing complete supplies for a meal are distributed to eligible Orange residents for Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, and Christmas.
- 3. Donations of grocery gift cards to purchase chicken, turkey, ham, and non-perishables. (Any monetary amount from $30.00 and up)
- 4. Store gift cards for eligible residents and/or children participating in our adopt a family program.
- 5. Monetary donations are accepted for our Community Assistance Programs which funds our Food Bank, Fuel Assistance and Holiday Programs. By check only.
Administrative Assistant Community Services
Please make checks payable to:
Treasurer Town of Orange
Orange Community Services Department
High Plains Community Center
525 Orange Center Road
Orange. CT 06477
Please call the Community Services Department at (203) 891-4788 if you have any questions or would just to like to help.
WE WILL NEED TO KNOW ASAP IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HELP US
PROCEDURES FOR SPONSORS WHO WOULD LIKE TO ADOPT A FAMILY OR SENIOR RESIDENT FOR THE HOLIDAY GIFT GIVING:
We will give you a list of the children with their gender and ages from the family.
If needed will get a wish list from the children for your use.
Prepare a basket with items from the menu and a gift card roughly $30.00 for perishables if you’re donating a food basket.
Have the gift items, toys, etc. wrapped with the first name on the gift
Bring in items the week before the holiday for distribution
There is no limit given to sponsors on spending, we leave that up to you.
You can adopt as many families as you would like to.
Everything is kept private; we do not give out the family’s names.
These are residents of Orange who are part of our Holiday Program through Community Services Outreach Dept.
We also help out senior residents who are in need for the holidays.
DUE DATE FOR DROP OFF WILL BE NO LATER THAN DECEMBER 18TH FOR CHRISTMAS, THIS WILL GIVE US TIME TO CONTACT RESIDENT OR FAMILIES
Any questions you may contact:
Kimberly Callahan, Administrative Assistant
Town Of Orange Community Services Department at (203) 891-4788
Grocery Gift Card for Turkey, Ham, Chicken, or Roast Beef and perishables ($25.00 to $50.00)
Boxed Mashed Potatoes
Canned Sweet Potatoes
Fresh Sweet Potatoes
Tea or Coffee
Any other kind of dessert
THANKSGIVING DROPOFF DATE: Please have to us by 11/22/19
CHRISTMAS/HANNUKAH DROPOFF DATE: Please have to us by 12/18/19