This month’s Board of Selectmen’s meeting took place at Town Hall on Wednesday, Feb. 10 at 7:30 p.m.
Following are notes of what they discussed:
Ordinance to Amend the Code of the Town of Orange, Chapter 331, Solid Waste, Article ll. Recycling
Copies available at the Town Clerk’s Office.
Tom George of the Recycling Committee. Now in its 16th year the Recycling effort in Orange has grown dramatically. The town came up with an amended ordinance for which he is grateful.
First Selectman Jim Zeoli said the printer cartridge recycling program is highly successful.
Recycling chairman/selectman Mitch Goldblatt spoke about the grant money
Town of Orange gets $20 per ton from the recycled items in the blue bins.
Goldblatt said the number of residents who recycle is unknown, but in the month of December 100 tons was recycled in Orange — between the blue bins and at the transfer station.
VOTE : To consider and act on amending the Code of the Town of Orange, Chapter 331, Solid Waste, Article ll. Recycling.
George Munk an active member of the Orange Country Fair passed away.
Feb. 15 all town offices will be closed, but the transfer station will be open.
March 13 daylight savings time begins.
Sat. July 2 – Independence day fireworks will take place.
Complaint about mail boxes damaged by snow plows. It’s still not too late to put up a “batter board” to protect your mailboxes, but unless they are run over, the town will NOT replace them.
Dogs on Town Property must be leashed, and you must clean up after them.
Commercial vehicles parked in your residence is not allowed. You may be cited.
Shop Rite is remodeling the interior of the former Stop & Shop on
New Signal Lights including cross walk lights are being installed at the intersection of Orange Center and Old Tavern roads.
1. To consider and act on the approval of the minutes of the January 13, 2016
Regular Meeting of the Board of Selectmen (enclosure)
Two corrections were suggested (Davis and Goldblatt)
1. To consider and act on the request to hang a banner to promote the Strawberry Festival (enclosure) – Marie Gesler, Strawberry Festival Co-Chairperson
Strawberry Festival will take place at the Orange Fairgrounds on June 11.
Zeoli recommends that everyone purchase a Strawberry-Rhubarb pie
The Banner will be erected soon after the Memorial Day Parade.
2. To consider and act on the request to hold the Cinco K de Mayo Road Race, waive the rental fee for HPCC gym/cafeteria and hang a banner on Orange Center Road (enclosure) – Richard Zorena, Chamber of Commerce
3. To consider and act on request for funding to reevaluate and amend the Orange TODD Regulations (enclosure) – Paul Dinice, Zoning Administrator and Enforcement Officer
Regulations were drawn up more than a decade ago when a train station was proposed for Orange. The TP&ZC
needs $16,000 to pay Planametrics for its work on the plans.
Selectman Okenquist said the printing costs were not included in the request, so should they add money to the request to meet those costs? Zeoli said NO, they asked for $16,000, if they need more they can come back and ask for it.
Goldblatt asked about a timeline. Town Attorney Vin Marino said he would like to have it wrapped up by April.
Unanimous Approval to send the recommendation to fund it to the Board of Finance.
4. Review of proposed Charter Revision Committee – First Selectman Zeoli
Zeoli suggested Laura Reid, Roy Cuzzocreo and Leo Imperati Jr. for the committee.
Judy Williams said all have history in town and experience.
Unanimously Approved, John Carangelo abstained.
5. To consider and act on the request to approve Health Insurance Waivers for 19 employees.
Employees would receive a stipend instead of Insurance if person is covered by a spouses insurance.
6. To consider and act on the request to approve the tax refunds totaling $14,606.89
1. Pension Board – Selectman Goldblatt
Thurs, Feb 25 meeting at town hall open to public.
2. Capital Planning – Selectman Okenquist
$981,000 proposed expenditures.
A new phone system is being put into elementary schools so all schools are tied together.
Pubic Works needs a new dump truck to replace 25 year old model.
Community Services received $25,000 grant for a new van. town would put in $11,000
PD needs a new digital console and digital radio system. PD would impose a new incription system to prevent public from hearing their transmissions.
3. Bond Construction Oversight – Selectman Goldblatt
4. Personnel – Selectman Okenquist, Zeoli, Davis
Close Regular Meeting convene into Executive Session
1. Labor Contract Between the Town of Orange and Supervisors’ Unit
2. MOA for Correction of Wage Schedule between the Town of Orange and
the Dispatchers’ Unit (enclosure)
Close Executive Session and convene into the Regular Meeting
3. Upgrade to secretary to Building Department.
1. To consider and act on the Labor Contract Between the Town of Orange
2. To consider and act on the MOA for Correction of Wage Schedule between
the Town of Orange and the Dispatchers’ Unit
3. Upgrade to secretary to Building Department.
Upgraded to 37.5 hours and a salary increase.