}(document, 'script'));

Amity Teen Center Receives Grant Award

 Around Town, Charity Events, Home, Latest News  Comments Off on Amity Teen Center Receives Grant Award
Jan 082018

The Amity Teen Center received a $9,283.98 Connecticut Neighborhood Assistance Act Tax Credit Program grant from AVANGRID, Inc., at a ceremony held at the Energize Connecticut Center in North Haven, on Dec. 19.  This grant is aimed at helping community neighborhood organizations across the state improve energy efficiency and save on energy costs.

AVANGRID’s Connecticut companies, United Illuminating, Southern Connecticut Gas and Connecticut Natural Gas are grateful for this opportunity to support nonprofit organizations that improve our neighborhoods and communities.

Pictured are Eileen Lopez-Cordone, UI’s Community Development Specialist, Amity Teen Center Program Director Jennifer DiBlanda, Amity Teen Center President Jane Opper and Al Carbone, Manager of Community and Government Relations for AVANGRID.

Blocked Vents, Meters and Regulators Can Pose Safety Hazards

 Around Town, Home, Latest News, Today's Events  Comments Off on Blocked Vents, Meters and Regulators Can Pose Safety Hazards
Jan 042018

AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) and its natural gas companies in Connecticut and Massachusetts remind customers to keep exhaust vents, gas meters and regulators clear of snow and ice as they clean up after winter storms.

Snow, ice, and other debris can block exhaust vents for furnaces, water heaters and similar appliances, potentially causing toxic fumes and poisonous carbon monoxide to build up indoors. Furthermore, snow and ice accumulated around natural gas meters and regulators can prevent gas company personnel and first-responders from locating and accessing them during an emergency.

Customers should note the location of outdoor vents, including sidewall vents, as well as meters and regulators, and make sure they remain clear and accessible. After the storm has safely passed, snow or debris should be removed gently by hand or with a broom to avoid damage. Customers should also be alert to potential ice build-up on rooftops and gutters. Falling ice and snow can damage utility meters and regulators.

“We want customers to stay comfortable and safe all winter. Taking the simple, but important step of keeping gas equipment free of snow and ice can help prevent serious safety hazards, and ensure that emergency responders have the access they need,” said Robert Kump, CEO of Avangrid Networks, the parent company of Berkshire Gas of Massachusetts, Connecticut Natural Gas and Southern Connecticut Gas.

Here are some additional safety tips:

Report Emergencies

Call your natural gas company to report gas leaks, odors or damaged gas equipment. If you suspect a leak, leave the area or building and call from outdoors or a neighbor’s home. If there’s an immediate danger, call 911.

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors should be located on every level of your home, outside all sleeping areas and inside each bedroom. Test them monthly and replace the batteries at least twice a year.


Never use your stove or oven to stay warm. Only space heaters intended for indoor use should be operated indoors or in enclosed spaces, in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If you are unable to keep your home safely and comfortably heated, call 211 for resources that can help you and your family.

Home Generators

Any generator that plugs into a home’s wiring should be connected via a transfer switch by a licensed electrician. This ensures that when the generator is in use, house wiring is isolated from utility lines. Improper installation can damage the generator, or create hazards for utility employees working on poles, or even the general public. If adding a natural gas-fired generator, consult your gas company to ensure there is adequate pressure. Generators should be placed outdoors and away from doors and windows to prevent exposure to carbon monoxide.

United Illuminating Offers Holiday Safety And Energy Efficiency Tips

 Around Town, Home, Latest News  Comments Off on United Illuminating Offers Holiday Safety And Energy Efficiency Tips
Dec 052017

United Illuminating, a subsidiary of AVANGRID Inc. (NYSE: AGR), a diversified energy and utility company, is urging its customers to follow some simple electrical safety and energy-saving tips so they can have a safe and enjoyable holiday season.

“The holidays are a time of celebration, but as people gather with family and friends, they should never put safety on the back burner,” said Doug Herling, Vice President of Electric Operations at Avangrid Networks. “No one wants a fire or preventable accident to take away from the joy of the season, so we encourage everyone to follow some common-sense measures to keep their loved ones safe.”

In addition to testing smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and planning emergency fire escape routes for your family, people should keep the following safety tips in mind for safety and energy efficiency:

  • Dried Christmas tree limbs and hot lights can be a dangerous combination, so if you have a live tree, be sure to keep it fresh. Before you put the tree in its stand, cut its base at a 45-degree angle so it can absorb water. Water the tree liberally — the average tree can consume between a quart and a gallon of water a day. Remove the tree promptly after the holiday or when it becomes dry.
  • Consider miniature and/or LED lights, which produce less heat, reduce the drying effect on the tree, and use less energy.
  • All lights and cords should be factory tested; check for the UL label on the packaging.
  • Carefully inspect light cords, plugs, and receptacles for worn or frayed insulation and loose connections. Throw away damaged items.
  • Don’t overload electrical circuits or extension cords; follow the directions on cord labels regarding connecting light strings and extension cords. If a cord feels hot to the touch, it is overloaded and may cause an electrical fire. Additionally, make sure the cords are out of the way so that nobody trips over them.
  • Keep flammable decorations away from the tree’s lights. Also, make sure that electric window candles do not touch drapes or other flammable objects.
  • Keep wires away from toddlers and pets. Push wires toward the center of the tree, and clip them securely to the branches.
  • Never use electric lights on metallic trees. Avoid using plastic trees unless they’re flame resistant.
  • Always turn holiday lights off before going to sleep and when you leave home, or consider using a programmable timer to turn lighting displays on and off automatically.
  • While decorating the outside of your home:

o    Look up and around the area first to identify overhead lines and other hazards.

o    Never raise ladders, poles or other extended objects into or near power lines.

o    Use only outdoor-approved lights that can withstand cold temperatures.

o    Check to make sure that tree limbs aren’t near power lines. Remember that no power line is safe to touch, ever.

  • In the kitchen, keep a close watch on your stovetop, grill, and oven while in use, and never use them as a heating source.
  • Customers can monitor their holiday energy use during the holidays or year-round by enrolling in UI’s free My Account service. For more information, go to http://www.uinet.com and choose “My Account.”

UI wishes its customers a safe and happy holiday season.

Be sure to follow @UnitedIllum on Twitter and like AVANGRID on Facebook.