Quantcast
;
;

Lebanon Towne Militia In Orange Today

 Around Town, Home, Latest News, Today's Events  Comments Off on Lebanon Towne Militia In Orange Today
Jul 142018
 

Members of the Lebanon Towne Militia, a Revolutionary War Reenactment Group, has set up camp at the Orange Historical Society’s Bryan-Andrew House, 131 Old Tavern Road today, Saturday, July 14 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Today, the Militia embraces 18th-century military camp life, crafts and occupations of the period, and recreates the life of the colonial militiaman and his family.

The encampment will feature spinning, cooking, and other colonial crafts.

“We’re excited about this event,” said Ginny Reinhard, president of the Orange Historical Society. “It’s a wonderful opportunity to learn more about the earliest days of our country in a fun and entertaining way.”

Originally formed in the 18th century to defend the town of Lebanon, Connecticut, in 1775 at the beginning of the American Revolution, the Lebanon Militia Company saw service at Breed’s Hill and the Battle of Boston.

A colonial militia operated like an army but its members were not professional soldiers and did not wear uniforms. Colonial militia laws required every able-bodied male citizen to participate and to provide his own arms. These men composed the bulk of the
armies that eventually won independence.

The Lebanon Towne Militia was disbanded in 1776, with some members becoming part of the 6th Company of the Continental Line, and others supporting the war from their farms.

Parking for this event, which is free, is available at the High Plains Community Center on the grassy field to the right of building with a free shuttle bus running to and from the Bryan-Andrew House.

Bryan-Andrew House Still Coming Along

 Around Town, Home, Latest News  Comments Off on Bryan-Andrew House Still Coming Along
Oct 242016
 

dsc09769On Sunday, the Orange Historical Society hosted an open house at the historic Bryan-Andrew House on Old Tavern Road.

The Town of Orange purchased the circa 1740 Bryan-Andrew House in 2000.

Soon afterward, a microburst hit Old Tavern Road and came close, but missed the historic home.

With grants from the State of Connecticut, the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation, donations, and fundraisers, the Orange Historical Society has been restoring the home for more than a decade.

It is now open by appointment as a house museum for local school tours to experience a day in the life of early Orange using Bryan’s Farms as its historical location.

One element that’s slowing the process is the Orange sanitarian’s requirements that the home have a fully functional, yet not true to the 1700s period, stainless steel kitchen in which to prepare and cook food for guests. This requires a wagonload of cash that the society does not currently have at its disposal.

Here’s Another Chance To See The Bryan-Andrew House

 Around Town, Home, Latest News  Comments Off on Here’s Another Chance To See The Bryan-Andrew House
Oct 192014
 

7355383_origThe Orange Historical Society will host an open house at the Bryan-Andrew House, 131 Old Tavern Road (said to be the oldest house in Orange) on Sunday, Oct. 19 from 12-4 p.m.

Parking will be at the Old Tavern Road Baseball Complex with a shuttle bus running to and from the historic home.

Come and see what your donations have allowed the society to do to open the house museum for your enjoyment and education of colonial times in Orange.

Admission is free. Light refreshments will be served.

The town of Orange purchased the Bryan-Andrew House (circa 1740) in 2000. The Bryan family was associated with Milford from its founding in 1639.

With grants from the State of Connecticut, donations, and fundraisers, the Orange Historical Society has restored the home. It will be used as a house museum for local school tours to experience a day in the life of early Orange using Bryan’s Farms as its historical site.

It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.

In the summer of  2001 and 2002, an archeological dig took place at the home and artifacts unearthed are now cataloged and available for viewing.  If interested, call 203 795-3106 for an appointment.

Restoration is continuing with plaster walls and ceilings with original lath underneath to recreate the 1740 construction.  The fireplace in the parlor was altered many years ago and is now undergoing an original restoration.  The hearth brick which was obviously 20th century was removed to show the original red brick which is in excellent condition.

Originally  Published on: Oct 5, 2014 @ 19:05

Second Publishing on: Oct 12, 2014 @ 16:45 

Historical Society Offers Basket Making Class March 30th

 Around Town, Home, Latest News  Comments Off on Historical Society Offers Basket Making Class March 30th
Mar 292014
 

Market Basket

Market Basket

Sign up with the Orange Historical Society to hand make a basket reminiscent of colonial days to be held at the historic 1740 Nathan Bryan-William Andrew House, 131 Old Tavern Road.

Noted  basket makers, Ray and Caryl DeFrancesco of H.H. Perkins, of North Haven, will tell about the history of basketry and each visitor will be given supplies to make a splint marketing basket.

Save the date of March 30 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. for this unique opportunity for a tour of the oldest house in Orange and a chance to relive an age-old craft.

Cost per person is $35.00.  Make checks payable to OHS and send to PO Box 784, Orange, CT 06477.  Space is limited to 18 guests.

For information call 203-795-3106

Originally Published on: Feb 17, 2014 @ 19:38

Bryan-Andrew House is Safe and Ready For Sunday’s Open House

 Around Town, Home, Latest News  Comments Off on Bryan-Andrew House is Safe and Ready For Sunday’s Open House
Sep 292013
 

Deputy Fire Marshal Jamie Vincent checks the safety of a fire in the kitchen fireplace.

Deputy Fire Marshal Jamie Vincent checks the safety of a fire in the kitchen fireplace.

The Orange Historical Society is opening the 1740 Bryan-Andrew House, “the oldest house in Orange,” to the public on Sunday Sept. 29, from 2-5 p.m.

It has taken 13 years to restore the house and collect the furniture and accessories that would have been in this home in Colonial times.

Everyone is invited to visit the historic site and see what a wonderful house museum is about to take its place in Connecticut’s treasures.

In recent weeks, the Fire Marshal’s Office and Historical Society have been working together to make sure the home is safe and ready for the public.

Deputy Fire Marshal Jamie Vincent and lit fires in each of the fireplaces to see that they burned correctly, and they did.

“Henry” from R.S. Petrillo Company put some final touches on the wall sconces and completed repairs to the electric service.

Docent Frances Vadney will be making soup for the open house, to enhance the ambiance, but it won’t be served to the public.

The Bryan-Andrew House is located at 131 Old Tavern Road. Parking will be available at Old Tavern Athletic Park across the street at 116 Old Tavern Road, and a shuttle bus will take visitors to the house.