Quantcast

AVANGRID Offers Safety Tips for Extreme Cold Weather

 Around Town, Home, Latest News, Today's Events  Comments Off on AVANGRID Offers Safety Tips for Extreme Cold Weather
Dec 272018
 

Weather Advisory Issued to Customers of United Illuminating, Southern Connecticut Gas, Connecticut Natural Gas and Berkshire Gas

AVANGRID (NYSE: AGR), a diversified U.S. energy company, and its subsidiaries in Connecticut and Massachusetts are urging customers to take measures to stay safe and warm during the bitterly cold weather that’s forecast for New England.

“The risk of fire, carbon monoxide poisoning and other hazards can increase as residents try to stay warm during the extreme cold,” said Bob Kump, CEO of Avangrid Networks, the parent company of United Illuminating, Southern Connecticut Gas, Connecticut Natural Gas and Berkshire Gas.

“As this extremely cold weather settles in, we encourage customers to look around their homes and make sure they’re able to keep themselves and their families warm and to identify any potential safety risks that must be addressed,” Kump said.

Staying Warm

If you are unable to keep your home safely and comfortably heated, call Infoline at 211 for resources that can help you and your family.

Exposure to extreme cold can cause serious medical conditions including hypothermia and frostbite. To avoid them, stay indoors if possible and wear warm clothing, including head covering and gloves or mittens.

For information about frostbite, hypothermia, and other concerns, visit the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/winter/index.html.

Fire and Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Incidences of fire and carbon monoxide poisoning rise during cold weather, as a result of malfunctioning appliances, poor ventilation and improper use of heat sources. Place smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on every level of your home, outside of sleeping areas and inside each bedroom. Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors monthly to make sure the batteries are working, and replace the batteries at least twice a year.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless and tasteless toxic gas. It is a product of fuel combustion, and a buildup can result from a furnace or space heater problem. Symptoms of CO poisoning can mimic flu, so make sure the CO detector is functioning.

For more information about fire and carbon monoxide dangers, visit the National Fire Protection Association, http://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Research/News-and-media/Press-Room/News-releases/2016/Winter-weather-months-prompt-heating-and-carbon-monoxide-safety-warnings.

Stove and Range

The stove, range, and other kitchen appliances are designed for cooking, not heating. Use them as specified in the manufacturer’s instructions. In addition to creating a fire hazard, a natural gas stove or oven can present a carbon-monoxide risk when used for heating.

Space Heaters

Use only space heaters that have been tested and certified by a nationally recognized testing laboratory. Read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions, and never use a device designed for outdoor use indoors. Place the space heater on a level surface away from foot traffic, at least 3 feet from combustible materials. Inspect the cord for fraying, and after plugging it in, periodically feel the cord near the outlet to make sure the plastic is not getting hot. Do not run the space heater cord under a rug or carpeting, and never use an extension cord for a space heater. Keep children and pets away, and turn off the space heater when you leave the area.

More space heater safety information can be found on the U.S. Department of Energy website, at https://energy.gov/energysaver/portable-heaters.

Heating, Hot Water, and Plumbing

Keep the furnace area clear of flammable materials and keep vents clear to provide a good air supply to your heating system to ensure proper combustion.

Water pipes that are exposed to cold temperatures may freeze and burst. Don’t ignore drips or odd noises from your heating system — call your heating company to investigate. Wrap exposed pipes in your basement with pipe insulation to help them retain heat and avoid freezing.

The American Red Cross offers additional tips for avoiding frozen pipes at http://www.redcross.org/prepare/disaster/winter-storm/preventing-thawing-frozen-pipes.

UPDATE (and correction): Peck Place Pipes Burst, Flood School Over Weekend

 Around Town, Home, School News  Comments Off on UPDATE (and correction): Peck Place Pipes Burst, Flood School Over Weekend
Jan 062014
 

Peck Place School

Peck Place School

The timeline on my story is inaccurate. The computer I was using had the wrong time stamp. I should be getting another computer for work today! Again, I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

The Custodian at Peck Place found the leak at the school at 7 a.m., McMullin was notified at 7:15 a.m. and sent the notice out.

[At around 4:30 a.m.] At 7:45 a.m. Supt. Lynn McMullin sent out this notice: (altered to reflect the late posting)

Several pipes broke at Peck Place over the weekend.  The entire school was flooded with fresh water, but cleanup will take time.
Students and staff reported to the cafeteria and were bused in an orderly way to either Race Brook or Turkey Hill.
Parents may choose to keep their children at home today, but the schools provided for every child who arrived at school.
Children will be dismissed at 3:00 p.m. from Race Brook and Turkey Hill.
90 minutes later, [at 6 a.m.]  9 a.m. she sent this:

Peck Place update and CHANGE.  The kids and staff are in route to MLT, 350 School House Rd.

The kids are fine and in good spirits.  They will be dismissed at 10:30 by their buses … or may be picked up at the school.

Because of social media, expect security for dismissal and please have patience if picking up.

The 21st Century Program will be held today at Mary L. Tracy School for those Peck Place students who attend the after-school program on Monday afternoons. The program will be in session until 6:00 p.m. Lunch/snack will be served.

Updated 1:05 p.m. :

In the true spirit of a community reaching out and helping others in times of trouble, Peck students will attend school tomorrow at either Race Brook or Turkey Hill.

Peck students will be divided between the two schools by their bus route, with as even a distribution as possible. They will join classes at Turkey Hill and Race Brook and be welcomed by those teachers and students.

Aides and paraprofessionals will go with them.  Careful plans are being made for our Special-Ed students and our students with allergies and health issues.  We know it is going to be cold outside tomorrow, but we are hoping as many students as possible will take the bus to alleviate possible congestion and confusion at the student drop-off areas.

For Peck parents, more detailed information is coming.

EDITOR’S NOTE: As you know my laptop crashed and burned on Christmas Day and I did not have one next to my bed as usual. I had gone to bed at 4 a.m. and missed the initial e-mail and update. I dropped the ball this time. For this I am sorry.