As always, get a flu vaccine every year. Getting vaccinated is the first and most important step in protecting against this serious disease. Vaccination efforts should continue as long as influenza viruses are circulating. Also, you can help stop the spread of influenza and other diseases by doing the following things:
- If you get sick with flu-like illness, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone (less than 100 degrees) except to get medical care or for other necessities. Your fever should be gone without the use of a fever-reducing medicine before returning to school or work.
- Practice proper cough and sneeze etiquette to prevent the spread of germs. Sneeze and cough into your sleeve.
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home, work, and school, especially when someone is ill.