Quantcast
;
;

Fire Alarm, Evacuation, Delay Midterm Testing

 Amity High School, Latest News, School News, Today's Events  Comments Off on Fire Alarm, Evacuation, Delay Midterm Testing
Jan 242014
 

this is a message from Amity Principal Charles Britton:

This morning, at approximately 8:45 am, a fire alarm was activated, and the building was evacuated.

It was a false alarm. The alarm was triggered in the middle of the period 3 exam. When students returned to the building, time was provided for students to complete the period 3 exam.

The school day will be extended by 20 minutes to allow students the time necessary to take the period 4 exam. Instead of dismissing at 10:55 am, students will be dismissed at 11:10 am. The bus company has been notified of this adjustment.

 

All students are safe, and currently taking the period 4 exam.

Firefighters Respond To Late Night Call At Christmas Tree Shops

 Home, Latest News, Police & Fire, Today's Events  Comments Off on Firefighters Respond To Late Night Call At Christmas Tree Shops
Aug 132013
 

Fire DpeatmenThe Orange Volunteer Fire Department almost made it through last evening without being called out.

“Almost.”

At 11:50 p.m. the alarm sounded and firefighters were toned out to respond to the Christmas Tree Shops at 220 Indian River Road for an activated fire alarm.

Within a few minutes several trucks were enroute to the plaza and the fire officers were ahead of them.

Upon arrival, the Deputy Fire Chief told dispatch that nothing was showing and he proceeded to stage the trucks where they might be needed.

The Chief verified with dispatch that the location of the alarm was in an office space.

About 22 minutes later the store manager arrived and met with the fire officers.

Chief Gagel released the firefighters and trucks from the scene.

The incident was determined to be an accidental activation.

At 12:14 a.m. Chief Gagel and Deputy Chief Knight also left the scene and signed off.

Smoke Detector Call Was No False Alarm

 Around Town, Police & Fire  Comments Off on Smoke Detector Call Was No False Alarm
Sep 302012
 

Orange Volunteer Firefighters ventilate a home on Grannis Road.

On Saturday, Sept. 29, the Orange Volunteer Fire Department was busy traveling from point to point across town, responding to calls for activated smoke alarms, fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.

After steam from a shower set off a smoke detector and smoke from cooking caused another alarm to go off, firefighters received a call on Grannis Road around 12:30 p.m.

The two story home was occupied by an elderly couple and three dogs, the chilly fall-like temperatures led them to light a fire in the fireplace to warm the house a bit.

According to Fire Marshal Tim Smith the damper in the fireplace was broken and although the homeowner opened it before lighting the fire , the flue was actually closed and the house began to fill with smoke.

“The smoke alarm did its job and went off, alerting the fire department before the residents even had a chance to dial the phone,” he said. “There was a high carbon monoxide level inside the house when firefighters arrived and Medic 33 was called to evaluate the occupants.”

No one, human or canine was injured in this incident.

The Volunteer firefighters used large fans to ventilate the home and checked for CO levels throughout the house to make sure it was safe for the family before they returned to the fire stations.