Quantcast
Nov 012012
 

UI and Highway Department trucks out on the road Thursday afternoon.

Town Highway and UI continue to work together to restore power.  UI reports that restoration will begin on Friday.  There may be periods of outages while power is being restored.  Travel can still be difficult.  Be aware of low hanging wires and branches. Use caution at intersections as traffic controls may be out.  Report new power outages to UI at 1-800-722-5584.

Continue to use generators in a safe manner.  Generators should be at least 20 feet from the home.  They should not be covered. They should never be used indoors or in open garages.  Residents should not overload the generator with extension cords.  Cords can become hot and cause a fire.   Residents on generator power can cause damage to power lines if the main switch in their home is not off.

Residents should use extreme caution when using chainsaws or other tree clearing tools.  Always be aware of wires and other people when clearing debris. Trees may have been weakened by the storm and can fall when working beneath.

Perishable food left unrefrigerated for an extended time should be discarded as it may be unsafe to eat.

Dump hours have been extended to Sunday 830 to 430 for leaves and storm debris.  The Public Works Department will pick up storm debris cut to 6-8 foot lengths at curbside through middle of November.

The Emergency Shelter at High Plains Community Center is open.  Showers and Charging stations are available 24 hours a day.  Residents should bring their own toiletries, bedding and medications.  Pets are welcome.

Residents can elect to receive these messages via cell phone, text or email by visiting ctalert.gov.

Please be safe during this recovery period.

Oct 262012
 

The National Fire Protection Association presents this information to anyone using a generator, or planning on purchasing a generator for the upcoming hurricane and/or other power emergencies.

Downed utility lines, power company blackouts, heavy snow falls or summer storms can all lead to power outages. Many people turn to a portable generator for a temporary solution without knowing the risks.
• Generators should be used in well ventilated locations outside away from all doors, windows and vent openings.
• Never use a generator in an attached garage, even with the door open.
• Place generators so that exhaust fumes can’t enter the home through windows, doors or other openings in the building.
• Make sure to install carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in your home. Follow manufacturer’s instructions for correct placement and mounting height.
• Turn off generators and let them cool down before refueling. Never refuel a generator while it is running.

It’s important to remember…
• When plugging in appliances, make sure they are plugged directly into the generator or a heavy duty outdoor-rated extension cord. The cords should be checked for cuts, tears and that the plug has all three prongs, especially a grounding pin.
• If you must connect the generator to the house wiring to power appliances, have a qualified electrician install a properly rated transfer switch in accordance with the National Electrical Code® (NEC) and all applicable state and local electrical codes.

FACT
Carbon monoxide deaths have spiked in recent years as generator sales have risen.

Store fuel for the generator in a container that is intended for the purpose and is correctly labeled as such. Store the containers outside of living areas.

The United Illuminating Company offers this information on home generator safety:

Any home generator that plugs into your home’s wiring should be connected via a transfer switch by a licensed electrician. This ensures that when the generator is in use, house wiring is isolated from utility lines. Improper installation of generators can damage the generators, or create safety hazards for utility employees working on poles, or even the general public. If adding a natural gas-fired generator, consult your gas utility to ensure there is adequate pressure. Make sure exhaust is properly vented to reduce risk of carbon-monoxide poisoning.
•    Southern Connecticut Gas Company: 800-659-8299

As Always, do not hesitate to call 911 if your carbon monoxide detector activates. Get OUT of the house!