Open House: Four Bedroom Home Conveniently Located Near Town Activities

 4 bedrooms, Around Town, Home, Latest News, open house, Real Estate, Today's Events  Comments Off on Open House: Four Bedroom Home Conveniently Located Near Town Activities
Nov 192017

218 Hawthorne Lane is 3,075 sqft, with four bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms. Conveniently located near I-95 and Merritt/Wilbur Cross Parkways. Set on 0.71 acres on a quiet street. Walk to Peck Place school and Orange Community Center.
Remodeled kitchen, bathroom.
Fresh Paint inside and out, New roof 2017, new siding 2017, new gutters 2017, new hot water tank. new windows 2nd floor. entire house with hardwood floor except for the playroom.
The family room has a wood burning fireplace insert, and the entire home has significant closet and storage space throughout. The kitchen/addition is the perfect place to entertain your guest.
At $499,000, this home will not last long.

January 21 — Two House Fires in Two Consecutive Years

 Around Town, Home, Latest News, Police & Fire  Comments Off on January 21 — Two House Fires in Two Consecutive Years
Jan 222014

Rescue 1 outside of Station 2

Rescue 1 outside of Station 2

It’s a strange coincidence, I’m sure, but a quick search on Orange Live (it took 2 seconds) and I discovered that yesterday’s house fire at 4 p.m. on Sunset Drive fell on the same date as a much worse fire that occurred at 1 a.m. on Hawthorne Lane.on Jan. 21, 2013.

The fire on Sunset started in, and was contained to the kitchen area. Firefighters were able to extinguish it quickly, within 15-20 minutes of arrival, and no one was hurt.

The Hawthorne Lane fire likely began in a wood-fired boiler. The firefight went on for more than an hour.

The family fled to safety before firefighters arrived and no one was hurt, but the family did lose everything.

I certainly hope that these two 1-21 house fires are the end of the line for incidents on this date. No matter how minor the damage, house fires are terrifying and leave a long, lasting impression on the homeowners (and firefighters).


Oct 152013

A "Bing" image of a coyote in Connecticut.

A “Bing” image of a coyote in Connecticut.

A resident on Hawthorne Lane reported that she has seen a coyote walk by her house multiple times around night time.

She asked us to “Please inform people to keep their pets inside at night.”

Coyotes may seem like they are minding their own business, but be aware of the dangers they post to pets, especially if they have a litter of pups to feed, or when they are teaching their young how to hunt. Click HERE for a coyote fact sheet from the Humane Society.

If you see a coyote in your neighborhood, let us know and we’ll pass the information on to other townspeople.

If you get a photo of a local coyote we’d appreciate that too.


Screen shot 2013-10-15 at 12.23.10 AM

Orange Family Flees Early Morning House Fire

 Around Town, Home, Latest News, Police & Fire, Today's Events  Comments Off on Orange Family Flees Early Morning House Fire
Jan 212013

Orange Volunteer Firefighters cut ventilation holes in the roof of a home on Hawthorne Lane

Just before 1 a.m. Orange Volunteer Firefighters responded to a report of a house fire on Hawthorne Lane.

When the first volunteer arrived, he found the side of the home next to the chimney engulfed in flames.


Public Information Officer Mark Osinski talked to the press in this video.


The nearest fire hydrant was down the street and around the corner on Pine Tree Drive, a hose was hooked up there and a second alarm went out.

Smoke billowed from beneath the eaves and firefighters ascended to the roof as others proceeded with interior and exterior attacks.

The Woodbridge Fire Department and its Rapid Intervention Team (RIT) were called for mutual aid.

By 2 a.m. flames could still be seen in a small unit at the side of the house and firefighters cut ventilation holes in the roof.  Suddenly an upstairs bedroom beneath the rooftop firefighters’ perch glowed with orange as a flashover rolled across the ceiling. Firefighters on the ground quickly responded to that, aiming their hoses through a hole where a window once was.

First Selectman Jim Zeoli stood with the homeowners as a WWII Veteran Flag and the American Flag fluttered from a flag pole a few yards from the carnage.

Fire Marshal Tim Smith will continue his investigation today, but his preliminary finding is that the fire started in the area of a wood fired boiler.

No one was hurt in this fire.