The Garage and SUV damaged on Avon Drive Sunday morning.
What were you doing at 5:15 a.m.? The Orange Volunteer Firefighters were gearing up and rushing to a fire call — the first of two this frigid Sunday morning.
Fire Marshal Tim Smith recapped the incidents for Orange Live.
The department was toned out at 5:15 a.m. for a “house fire” on Avon Drive.
The dispatcher said the residents already had gotten out of the home.
The outside temperature was only about 19 degrees, but the winds were whipping and fresh snow flew across the roadways as the trucks made their way to the neighborhood.
First responders saw smoke and flames in the garage and found the residents out of the elements, waiting inside a car.
Medic 33 and the Woodbridge Volunteer Fire Department Rapid Intervention Team (RIT) were requested on scene.
One by one the Orange fire apparatus began to pull up, luckily, there was a fire hydrant nearby.
Smith said an upright freezer in the garage was the source of the fire, which quickly spread to other nearby items.
The homeowner was awake at that early hour when he noticed the fire, woke the other inhabitant and called 911.
He added that the firefighters used an interior attack to battle the fire. (One urgent need was a UI Crew to turn off the electricity for safety reasons)
The garage and an SUV that was parked inside sustained extensive damage and the home had smoke damage.
The good news is that no one was hurt and the fire was contained to the garage.
Second Fire Call
Just six hours after the Avon Drive fire, the Orange Volunteer Firefighters responded to 111 Cricket Lane at 11:22 a.m. for a fire inside the wall.
Again, the residents evacuated the home immediately and everyone was safe when first responders arrived.
According to Smith, this fire occurred outside the home when the resident was melting ice with propane torch.
The fire caught on shingles, and the homeowner reported that there was fire inside the wall.
According to Smith this incident resulted in some minor damage.