Friday, Jan. 4, 2019 was Pat Winkel Night at Amity High School.
Immediately before the boys Varsity Basketball game, fans, admirers, old teammates, and former classmates, gathered in the gymnasium with the Winkel family to congratulate Pat, and witness the “raising” of his Gatorade Player Of The Year banner.
Patrick Winkel is best known as the Amity Spartans catcher #30 from the awesome baseball team, who was a New York Yankees draft pick prior to graduation — but he chose to continue his education at UCONN instead.
Everyone knows that Pat is an amazing athlete, yet education has always been extremely important to him and his brother Chris (Captain of the UCONN Huskies Baseball Team).
When you look over this list of accomplishments from Pat’s High School career you will notice the mix of academics and athletics.
• 4 year Varsity Starter
• 2 time CT Class LL State Champion
• 3 time SCC Champion
• 3 time All SCC Team
• 2017 SCC Tournament MVP
• 2 time NH Register All Area Team
• 3 time CT LL CHSCA All State Team
• 2 time USA Today All State Team
• 2018 SCC Player of the Year
• 2018 NH Register All Area Baseball MVP
• 2017-2018 Gatorade CT State Baseball Player of the Year
• 2017-2018 CHSCA CT State Baseball Player of the Year
• Perfect Game All Northeast Region 1st Team
• 2017-2018 Collegiate Baseball Newspaper 1st Team All American
• 2017-2018 National High School Coaches Association 2nd Team All American
• 2017-2018 Rawlings Perfect Game Pre-Season 3rd Team All American
• Amity Regional HS All-Time Hit Leader
• NY Yankees Draft Pick
• Attending and Playing Baseball at UCONN
• National Honor Society Member
• First Honors every semester
Congratulations Pat, it was great to see you and your family back in the hallowed halls of Amity High School.