The Orange Board of Selectmen will meet at Town Hall on Wednesday, Aug. 13 at 7:30 p.m.
• To consider and act on the request to approve Golden Spa as a massage establishment (enclosure) – Yan Long Han & Su Fang Wu
The business is located in the Peck & Post Plaza 2nd floor. Only Wu is a licensed Massage therapist.
Currently, the windows are blocked with paper and should be removed after it is open for safety sake.
The police must complete background checks prior to approval. Mr. Han does not really speak English so Su Fang Wu translated the selectmen’s questions for him.
The Board voted 5-1 to approve pending the police chief’s signature after background checks. (Ken Lenz opposed)
• Selectman Ralph Okenquist mentioned that First Selectman Zeoli was voted the 3rd best politician in CT in New Haven Living Magazine.
• Zeoli and John Carangelo toured Peck Place School today and even though it’s not 100% complete, it will be ready enough for the start of school on Sept. 2. Cabinetry will be the last thing installed.
• Zeoli gave a thumbs up to Mike Luzzi for his ability to be on top of four huge projects in town.
• The death of K-9 Major will be covered by the town’s insurance company.
• Fred Trotta is retiring and his replacement is already on the job learning the ropes.
• Sept 1 all town departments and the transfer station will be closed.
• Sunday Sept. 28, the Beardsley Zoo will host Orange Day from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission for Orange Residents with proof of residency will be $5.
• UI tree trimming Rt34, Dogwood and Racebrook. Then Cart Lane, Cedar Grove, Old Cellar roads are next on the list.
• Rocco, the barber at Country Squire Barber Shop at 661 Orange Center Road is celebrating 50 Years as licensed barber.
• To consider and act on the request to hold a block party on Great Oak Road (enclosure) – Joy Iheanacho — Approved
• To consider and act on the request to hold a block party on Shagbark Drive (enclosure) – Timothea Ryan — Approved
• To consider and act on the request to hold a block party on Rainbow Trail (enclosure) – Sheila Millea — Approved
• To consider and act on the request to hang a banner on the fence at HPCC from 8/18/14 – 9/2/14 promoting “Come Together for a Night of Beatles Music” – Kathryn Bellis, Church of the Good Shepherd
Proceeds will support outrach programs Sat. Oct. 18 in the St. Barbara Greek Chuch Ballroom, $75, catered dinner, beer, wine, soda. Doors open at 6:30 goes on til midnight. — Approved
• To consider and act on the request to hold the 18th Annual Chilly Chili Run (enclosure) – Jane Opper, Race Coordinator
She asked to waive rental fees (not custodial fees) The Amity Teen Center is 27 years old this year, and the new building is wholly owned by the Teen Center. The Teens will be doing the parking at the Labor Day Concert ($5 each car) — Approved
• To consider and act on the request to hold the 2nd Annual Rotary Club of Orange Thanksgiving Day Run and 2 Mile Walk and to hang a banner to promote the event (enclosure) – Carl Russell, Rotary Club
Proceeds are used for Rotary Charities — Approved
To consider and act on amending Chapter 211 of the Town Code – Firearms (enclosure) – Town Counsel Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino says town ordinance states no one can discharge a firearm without a permit from the Police Department.
Police Chief wants to work directly with businesses with indoor ranges.
The sound proofing is so good now that no one would ever hear anything.
Marino will draft the change and present to the Board at the September meeting.
Capital Planning – Selectman Okenquist — will request drafts for department’s 5-year-plan
Pension Board – Selectman Goldblatt – Thursday meeting
Bond Construction Oversight – Selectman Goldblatt — road milling work has been completed, everyone seems pleased with the results. Still money left in the bond for future work. chip sealing is being done. There is a culvert under Old Grassy Hill Road near Wright’s Pond that must be done. The road will be closed for quite a while so plan to use alternate routes around the area. Wright’s Pond will be pumped out so don’t be concerned if you see that happening.
Close Regular Meeting and convene Executive Session
Potential Land Purchase Discussion (enclosure) No Action Will Be Taken tonight.