During the Police Commission
meeting, Asst. Chief Edward Koether read the following report:• In June, police made 28 criminal arrests, issued 279 motor vehicle tickets, responded to 26 larceny cases and 71 motor vehicle accidents. No residential or commercial burglaries were reported, and there was 1 motor vehicle reported stolen in town.Last month there were 2,524 calls which generated 422 reports.
Investigative Services Unit (ISU)
• The ISU assisted Ansonia in a stolen jewelry case.
Koether said the jewelry that was stolen in Ansonia was sold at Fast Eddie’s on the Boston Post Road.
The Orange police assisted in getting the jewelry back so it could be returned to the rightful owner.
• He went over the details of the arson arrest at Christmas Tree Shoppe
“An employee used one of the aerosol cans from the bathroom and lit it on fire. When he couldn’t control it, he stuck it up in the ceiling.” Koether said. “Fortunately the manager and other employees smelled it and went to put it out. The fire department responded and the employee was arrested.”
• ISU is investigating an alleged forgery case in town, involving family members and a personal loan that went wrong.
• The ISU also is investigating an identity theft case.
A resident on North Greenbrier reported that UPS delivered a laptop computer that he did not order.
“Someone had ordered it and had it delivered to that address with the hope of obtaining it before the homeowner got it,” Koether said. “The resident returned the computer.”
• There were two sexual assault arrests in June, both involving youths.
One is a child now, the other was a child at the time of the incident, but is older now.
• ISU is still investigating the Quick Stop Gas Station robbery from April
• In addition, ISU is looking into an allegation that an ex-husband opened insurance policies in his ex-wife’s name. The man was not the beneficiary, but the policies were in her name and she would have to pay for them.
Youth Officer John Aquino had a busy month:
• He participated in the Special Olympics torch run
• Ran a booth at the Orange Expo
• Took part in the Lowe’s Safety Day