United Illuminating, a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc., is monitoring forecasts and preparing for a predicted Nor’easter that could bring heavy rain and strong, gusty winds across the state Wednesday evening and throughout the day Thursday.
Forecasters predict rain starting Wednesday afternoon and winds that are expected to intensify overnight, with gusts reaching 40-45 mph and continuing through Thursday evening. These wet, windy conditions could damage trees and take down power lines, potentially causing service disruptions.
Customers are urged to monitor weather forecasts, stay safe and have a plan in case of an extended service outage lasting a day or more. To sign up to receive free UI Outage Alerts and restoration updates on mobile devices, customers can text “REG” to 839-884, or visit uinet.com for additional alert options.
UI has been preparing for the storm by creating staffing plans for restoration personnel, securing contractors, fueling and servicing vehicles, and ensuring adequate stock of wires, poles, transformers and other equipment. The company will work with local and state emergency officials to prioritize public safety and restoration of critical services.
Customers are advised to stay far away from downed utility lines and anything that may be in contact with them. Downed lines can be live and dangerous even if they don’t appear to be energized. Report them to UI at 800.722.5584 (800.7.CALL.UI).
The company offers the following storm preparation and safety tips:
Before a Storm:
- Sign up for Outage Alerts. Text “REG” to 839-884 to receive free text alerts if you lose service, and for restoration updates. Or, visit uinet.com for additional alert options.
- Keep long-lasting LED flashlights and lanterns on hand, along with a battery-operated radio, fresh batteries, drinking water, non-perishable foods and prescription medications.
- Fully charge mobile devices and store emergency contacts in memory.
- Fuel your vehicles.
Medical and Life Support Customers:
- Customers who rely on life-saving medical equipment should have a plan in case of a sudden or extended loss of service. UI medical and life-support customers should register in advance to ensure we are aware of your needs as we proceed with restoration efforts. Call UI at 800.722.5584 (800.7.CALL.UI).
- Do not use any generator that plugs into your home’s electrical system unless it was installed by a licensed electrician via a transfer switch. Improperly connected generators can back-feed electricity and pose a danger to the public and to crews working to restore service.
- Carefully read and observe the instructions in your generator’s operating manual.
- Properly ground all portable generators.
- Never run a generator indoors, in an open garage, or near a window.
- Do not store fuel indoors or try to refuel a generator while it’s running.
Report an Outage:
- To report an outage, call 800.722.5584 (800.7.CALL.UI). Customers can also report outages online at uinet.com; or text “OUT” to 839-884.
For additional storm readiness and safety information:
- Visit UI online at uinet.com
- Find UI on facebook.com/unitedilluminatin
- Follow @UnitedIllum on Twitter and Instagram
Additional storm relief resources can be found by calling Connecticut’s InfoLine at 2-1-1, or by visiting www.211ct.org.