Oct 282012

A windswept Sapsaree checks out the first signs of Sandy in CT

Asst. Police Chief Anthony Cuozzo released the following tonight:

The arrival of high winds and heavy rain are expected by Monday afternoon. This is a slow moving storm which may last as long as 36 hours.

The Orange Emergency Operations Center will open at 8am Monday, and will coordinate emergency response for Police, Fire and Medical emergencies.

The United Illuminating Company will be on hand to respond to downed wires. The Orange Highway Department will respond, when safe, to downed trees blocking roadways. Residents are asked to call 911 in an emergency only! Loss of Power should be reported to the UI at 1-800-722-5584.

Residents are urged to shelter in-place, however the shelter at High Plains Community Center will open at 12 noon Monday. Residents should bring toiletries, medication, and bedding. Pets are welcome. Residents are urged to remain indoors, do not approach swollen waterways or attempt to cross through water of undetermined depth, as the roadway may be damaged. Residents in areas that are prone to flooding are urged to evacuate to higher ground. Emergency services may not be able to reach you in the event that water covers the roadway.

Do not attempt to drive, it is expected that trees and downed power lines will close many roads. Do not handle any downed power, telephone or cable lines. These lines may be energized and can cause electrocution, serious injury or death. Residents using Generators are reminded to ensure that they are properly connected and placed in a well ventilated area. Generators should never be used indoors or in garages. They emit Carbon Monoxide and can cause death.

Residents are asked to be patient as the storm passes; your cooperation will ensure the continuity of emergency services throughout this weather event. Residents can elect to receive these messages via email, text and cell phones by visiting ctalert.gov and following instructions to register. Follow on Twitter @orangectemd

[Photos taken at the shoreline as the winds picked up and waves began to grow around 5:30 p.m. Sunday]

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.