Are you looking for something different to do with your children before they have to go back to school? This isn’t in Orange, but, it sure sounds like fun!
Lyman Orchards, an independently-owned family destination for more than 275 years, has opened its 2021 Sunflower Maze at 105 South Street, Middlefield, CT. (just a 40 minute drive from Orange). A three-acre area adorned with 350,000 blooming sunflowers, the maze is the only one of its kind in Connecticut.
One dollar of each admission fee will be donated to support Connecticut Children’s Center for Cancer & Blood Disorders. Connecticut Children’s is dedicated to helping children like Nevaeh—an eight-year-old born with a rare genetic disorder who is doing great today, thanks to the comprehensive care she receives at Connecticut Children’s. Lyman Orchards’ Sunflower Maze has raised more than $148,000 for Connecticut’s only health system dedicated exclusively to the care of children since the maze began operations in 2006.
“It is our utmost honor to help children and their parents in need of financial support for medical care,” states Lyman Orchards Executive Vice President John Lyman. “We look forward every year to opening our Sunflower Maze, knowing that we are providing lots of family-oriented fun, while supporting a terrific cause.”
“We are so grateful for the generosity of the Lyman Orchards family, whose support enables our team of pediatric experts to provide the highest quality care for families throughout our community,” says David Kinahan, President, Connecticut Children’s Foundation.
Maze Facts, Cost and Location
- More than 350,000 yellow, orange, and red sunflowers make up this year’s maze.
- The maze is approximately 3 acres in size
- The average time to make it through the maze is about 30 minutes
- During your walk amidst the sunflowers you’ll see butterflies and yellow finches, with the surrounding orchard hills as a beautiful scenic backdrop.
- Your trip through the Sunflower Maze will be educational too as you’ll learn all about Arthur Read, the star of the popular CPTV Kid’s series “Arthur”
- The Sunflower Maze has raised over $148,000 for Connecticut Children’s.
- It is Connecticut’s Original Sunflower Maze, now in its 15th year of operation.
The maze is open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Admission is $10 for adults, $6 for ages 4 – 12, and free for children under 3 years.(One dollar of each admission fee will be donated to support Connecticut Children’s Center for Cancer & Blood Disorders)
The last entrance to the maze is at 4:30 p.m. For daily updates on the maze and Pick Your own, call our 24-hour hotline at 860-349-6015. Group pricing is available for companies or outings, call 860-349-6019.