Saint Barbara Greek Orthodox Church, 480 Racebrook Road, is preparing for its 36th Annual Odyssey Greek Festival on Labor Day Weekend — Friday – Monday, Sept. 2, 3, 4, and 5.
Festival to Feature All Things Greek including Greek Cuisine, Live Music, Greek Dancing, and a bustling Hellenic agora (marketplace).
Set on the grounds of the beautiful Byzantine-style Saint Barbara Greek Orthodox Church, ODYSSEY 2016 offers something for everyone.
ODYSSEY 2016 includes:
• Classic Greek cuisine – appetizers (meze), Greek pastries (glyka), lamb on the spit (souvla), moussaka, gyro, spanakopita (spinach pie) and pastitisio (Greek style lasagna) • “Gourmet Meze Grille” – gourmet appetizers, including saganaki (flaming cheese), loukaniko sausage, grilled shrimp, lamb chops, avgolemono soup, dips and pitas
• Live Greek cooking demonstrations – learn to prepare some classic Greek foods
• Greek marketplace – Gourmet Greek grocery, t-shirts, jewelry, arts & crafts, bookstore
• Treasures ’n Junque – Odyssey’s giant tag sale
• Presentations on Greek culture and religion, along with tours of Saint Barbara Church • Greek dance performances –Traditional Greek folk dances performed by the ODYSSEY Dancers
• Greek dance lessons – taught by the ODYSSEY Dancers (8:30 p.m., Sat and Sun)
• Nightly dancing to ODYSSEY’s live Greek band, “The Hellenic Company”
• Kids’ area – Rides, games, and magic shows.
• Raffle – Have a chance at winning the grand prize of $10,000 cash, or one of 9 additional prizes!
• Senior Citizens Day: Fri. Sept. 2, from 12 – 3 pm – 20% senior citizen discount on meals.
For 35 years ODYSSEY has delighted the senses with a feast of Greek cuisine, the thrill of Greek dance, the sounds of the bouzouki, and the ethnic flavor of the Agora (Marketplace).
Stop by Saint Barbara’s ODYSSEY for Connecticut’s greatest “Greek Party,” a rain-or-shine Labor Day tradition.
HOURS: 12 noon to 10 PM on Fri., Sat., Sun. 9/2, 9/3, 9/4; 12 noon to 7 PM on Mon. 9/5.
FREE ADMISSION and FREE PARKING (on-site and next door at Holy Infant Church).
RAIN OR SHINE INFO: 203-795-1347 or visit www.saintbarbara.org