October 15, 2020
Dear Amity Community Members:
On Wednesday, October 14, 2020, Amity Regional School District No. 5 was notified that a member of our school community has tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19).
The affected person has been instructed to remain home in self-isolation for 10 days and has been provided with additional instructions to follow prior to returning to school. Family members have also been instructed to self-quarantine and get tested.
The last day this person was in Amity Regional High School was Thursday, October 8, 2020.
Anyone who is considered a “close contact” with this person has been contacted or will be contacted by local health officials and provided with instructions on the appropriate steps to take.
On behalf of the Orange Health Department and Quinnipiack Valley Health District, I have been asked to remind our entire Amity community about the necessity to act in a responsible and safe manner. This is not limited to our time in school, but also our time outside of school. In social gatherings, the need to practice health safety – including use of face coverings, physical distancing, and hand hygiene, continue to be paramount.
COVID-19 is spread mainly via person-to-person contact through contaminated air droplets from coughing and sneezing by an infected person. As with controlling the spread of other viruses, we urge everyone to discuss the following preventive measures with your children and family members:
- Wash your hands frequently, but especially after using the restroom and before preparing or consuming food. Using soap and hot water, wash for about 20 seconds. Be sure to also wash your fingertips. When soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizer.
- Avoid coughing or sneezing into your hands or in the air. Always try to cough or sneeze into a tissue, then throw the tissue away. If you don’t have a tissue, cough/sneeze inside the elbow of your arm.
- As much as you can, avoid touching your eyes, mouth, and nose.
- Wear a face covering (mask) whenever there is a likelihood that you or your family members will be in the presence of others.
- Maintain social distancing (at least 6 feet) between yourself and others when outside of your home.Below is the list of COVID-19 symptoms for which everyone should monitor in their family members:
- ❑ Fever (100.4° Fahrenheit or higher)
- ❑ Chills or shaking chills
- ❑ Uncontrolled new cough (not due to other known cause, such as a chronic cough)
- ❑ Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- ❑ New loss of taste or smellFor additional information on COVID-19 symptoms, please see:https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html
Everyone is reminded that staff and students exhibiting any of the above symptoms, or feeling ill, should remain home and call their medical provider to report their symptoms and ask about testing prior to seeking in-person care at a clinic, physician’s office, or hospital.
For more information on what to do if you or a family member has possible symptoms, a diagnosis, or exposure to COVID-19, please see Addendum 5: Interim Guidance for Responding to COVID-19 Scenarios in Connecticut School Districts, available here:
We are monitoring this situation and working with the Orange Health Department and Quinnipiack Valley Health District. At this time, health officials are not recommending the closure of the school. We will provide you with updates if the situation changes.